80% of cost is caused by 20% of parts.
Component engineering plays a key role especially in cases when a serial production is in outlook. A good component design brings not only saving cost but also behaviour optimisation, lifetime optimisation, limitation of failures and another advantages.
By designing a component more specific factors need to be controlled.
- Cost (DFC, design for cost)
- Value (DFV, design for value)
- Feasibility (DFM, design for manufacturing)
- Assemblability (DFA, design for assembly)
- Reliability (DFR, design for reliability)
- Testing and measurement (DFT, DFM)
- Environment impact (DFE, design for environment)